A design blog to capture a collection of thoughts from a bowerbird who is in love with unique design - fashion, furniture, art, photography, interiors, jewellery and creative minxes



Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Green Thumb - Making a Terrarium


My terrarium - I would have like a vessel with a glass lid but this glass vase was only $10 and the one with a lid was $80.


Steps for making a terrarium (see below for full instructions). I found the chopstick rather helpful to create small holes in the soil to poke plants in.


Apartment living is not the best for the avid gardener, especially when your balcony is the size of a pea (like mine!). Hence, I’m always looking for ideas to improve the greenery around my house without sacrificing space. I’ve fallen in love with the concept of terrariums, little mini plant worlds that can live inside a glass jar, as a way to expand the garden at home. Today I finally had a go at creating one and I was pretty happy with the end result. I’ll post another photo when the succulents have settled in and they start to take a natural shape.

It was really simple to make:

Buy a glass jar/vase/vessel

Buy a selection of dwarf succulents

Put down a layer of horticulture charcoal

Then put some succulent/cactus potting mix on top (it’s more sandy than the normal potting mix)

Break up the succulents and start designing your landscape!

Water you terrarium….. presto! Fingers crossed it grows.


If you want more inspiration, there are many how-to tutorials on the web, this is one by design sponge http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/08/made-with-love-found-terrariums.html


I'd love to see or hear about your terrariums so please email me or post a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...