A design blog to capture a collection of thoughts from a bowerbird who is in love with unique design - fashion, furniture, art, photography, interiors, jewellery and creative minxes



Sunday, June 26, 2011

Simplicity "Project Runway" Mini Dress






I fell in love with the cotton Brocade before I decided what I could make with it. It's been sitting a home for a while so thought I'd pair it with some black linen to make a mini dress.

This mini dress was made from Simplicity pattern 3507 from the "inspired by Project Runway" collection. I used a black linen for the bodice and facing and then used cotton brocade? style fabric for the main section of the dress. I used the brocade scalloped edge as the hem. To do this:
1) I measured the exact length I wanted the dress before cutting
2) Lined up the paper pattern for the skirt part of the dress so that the hem would be sitting on the scallops.

This dress does not have lining.

I cut out size 7/8, but it ended up being a bit big. I’d recommend tissue fitting the pattern first before cutting to ensure a good fit.

I’m planning on wearing the dress as a tunic in winter over the top of a turtle neck and as a dress in summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...